Our Favorite Recipes
Enjoy some of Chef Agron’s favorite recipes. He is constantly cooking up something great at Well-Spring. We invite you to come and see all that our community has to offer. To learn more, click here.
Mediterranean Quiche with Sundried Tomato, Feta Cheese and Spinach Quiche
- 1 precooked 9 inch deep dish pie shell
- 3 large eggs
- ½ pint of heavy cream or ½ and ½
- ½ cup of feta grated or cubed small
- 2 oz. hydrated sundried tomatoes
- 1 oz of sauteed fine diced red onion
- 3 oz Fresh spinach sauteed, drained and chopped
- Pinch of nutmeg, pinch of salt
Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees and partially cook your pie shell for 10 minutes to lightly brown. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then add the heavy cream and mix together well. Fold in all the rest of the ingredients and stir. Using a ladle, ladle the mixture into the pie shell getting the ingredients and wet mix evenly distributed. May use a fork to slightly stir. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until the quiche is firm in the center and golden brown.
Braised Pork Chops with Summer and Fall Vegetables
- 4 Bone-in Rib Chops or your preference, cut 1-inch thick
- Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 Garlic cloves smashed and chopped
- 1 large diced onion
- 2 peppers any color – 1 inch cubed
- 1 medium size eggplant cut in 1 inch cubes
- A mixture of 2-3 medium size squash
- 1 medium box of Button mushrooms
- Fresh garden tomatoes or canned diced or plum tomatoes
- A mixture of fresh (or dry) thyme, basil and oregano
- Rice or a hearty pasta like rotini
Heat a large fry pan with olive or vegetable oil. Dredge your pork chops in the flour, covering all sides. Lightly brown and place in a deep-sided Pyrex dish. In the same pan, sautee the onion and garlic in olive oil. Add the remaining cut vegetables and herbs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing lightly, bringing the flavors together but not cooking through. Pour the vegetable mixture over the pork chops and cover with saran wrap and foil to create a good seal. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes and shut off oven while you make your rice or pasta. When ready, remove pork chops and place on platter. Spoon vegetables over rice or pasta to serve.
- 2 quarts of Homemade tomato basil pasta sauce or your favorite jarred sauce. I like Michaels from Brooklyn Ny.
- 2-3 Fresh eggplant peeled
- Plain breadcrumbs that you season or pre-seasoned.
- Dry Italian Herbs, Dry Parsley
- 1 cup of Flour
- 3 eggs x 2 = 6 eggs
- Seasoned flour
- 2 lbs. Ricotta Cheese
- 1 pound of whole milk mozzarella grated
- Parmesan Cheese
- Filling – Beat 3 eggs. Add ricotta cheese, ¾ lb. shredded mozzarella, ¼ tsp. dry parsley, ¼ tsp granulated garlic and mix with a spatula. Add a little milk if it is too thick, however, mix should soft and not runny.
- Breading – First, beat eggs and mix with an almost equal part of water. Next season breadcrumbs with salt and pepper, granulated garlic, and dry Italian herbs. Place both the flour and breadcrumbs in separate pie pans. After peeling the eggplant, you may cut in rounds for individual servings or long way through the eggplant for a casserole style. Either way, cut at least ½ inch thick. Dip eggplant in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs and lay to the side.
- Frying – lightly fry the eggplant cutlets in canola or olive oil blend until golden brown on both sides.
- Assemble eggplant by placing sauce in a casserole dish first, followed by an eggplant cutlet, followed by the cheese mixture, then another eggplant and sauce over the top. Once you have assembled the eggplant, sprinkle with more mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake covered with saran and foil in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Lemon Chess Pie
Makes 1 9-inch pie
- 1 oz of cornmeal
- 1 oz of all purpose flour
- 2 oz melted butter
- 1 and a ½ cup of sugar
- 5 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 3 oz milk
- 6 eggs
- Pinch of salt
Whisk cornmeal, flour, and sugar together. Add melted butter, lemon juice and milk mix well. Add eggs, mixing by hand until the eggs are well incorporated. Pour into a 9-inch pie crust and bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on depth of pie shell) until golden brown and jelled. Cool completely before wrapping.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- ½ lb bacon cooked and diced
- ½ cup raisins, craisins or dried cherries
- ½ cup Toasted Pecan Pieces
- ½ cup red onion diced small
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup Marzetti’s or preferred coleslaw dressing
Directions: Cut bacon into half-inch pieces and sauté in a fry pan until crisp. Drain and hold on paper towel. Cut the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces and place in a mixing bowl with all other ingredients. Add dressing and mix well. Allow to chill and serve.
Robin’s Best Vinaigrette Cole Slaw
- 1 Head of fine shredded cabbage
- 3-4 fine cut julienne carrots
- 1 each fine cut julienne red, yellow and green peppers
- 1- fine cut julienne white onion
- 3-4 ribs of celery cut thin across the rib
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley flake
- 1/2 Tbsp. Celery seed
Mix all these ingredients together well before you dress.
- 2/3 of a cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1/2 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- A pinch of dry dill or basil – your choice
Mix all in a bowl well and pour over the vegetable mix to marinate in the refrigerator.
George’s Easy Gazpacho
Ingredients – Makes 8 cups
- 1 green bell pepper diced small
- 1 Jalapeno – carefully diced and seeded
- 1 cucumber seeded and diced small
- 1 Small onion diced or green pencil onions chopped
- 1 Garlic clove smashed and chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato diced
- ½ bunch of Cilantro washed and chopped fine
- 8 oz. tomato juice Plus 8 oz. V-8
- Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, sprinkle to taste
After Chopping all vegetables, place in a bowl and pour juice over the vegetables. Add a pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Allow to chill for several hours or overnight before serving. Garnish with ripe cantaloupe.
Adam’s Creamy Dreamy Peanut Butter Pie
- 1 Graham Tart Shell
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ¾ cups on confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup of milk
- ½ cup cool whip or whipped topping
- Chocolate syrup to blend and top
Directions: Blend the cream cheese in a mixer on low to medium to create a smooth consistency. Add confectioner’s sugar, then blend in peanut butter, chocolate sauce and milk. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and blend. Fold in the whipped topping by hand or on slow with paddle attachment. Spoon into a 9-inch graham cracker pie shell. Dot with topping and drizzle with chocolate. Freeze overnight. Slice frozen and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
Homemade Vegetarian Vegetable Soup with Grains
Optional grains like barley of farro or canned beans
Ingredients: Makes 2 gallons.
First peel all the following ingredients saving peels for stock:
- Large whole onion left whole, removing outer skin.
- 1lb bag of carrots
- 1 celery stalk, clip tops and bottom.
- 2 large turnips
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- Clip 1 lb Green Bean ends for stock.
- 1 small head of cabbage or other fresh greens like Swiss chard.
- 4 large potatoes – optional.
- 1 head of cauliflower use core and stems for stock
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, and 1 can of water to rinse out the can
Place all washed peelings in a large stock pot and cover with water, add 5 bay leaves, thyme, salt, and fresh ground pepper. Cook until all the vegetables are well cooked, and the onion is fork-tender.
- While the stock is being made, dice up all the cleaned vegetables in edible size pieces. Keep the cauliflower, turnips, and potatoes separate to add a little later in the process.
- Remove the peelings from the stock, saving all the stock. Best done with a handheld strainer.
- Next step is optional – You may either roast your vegetables or put in the stock just as they are. Either way works well, though you may have a more aromatic flavor with roasting.
- Add vegetables to the stock along with one can of crushed tomatoes.
- Cook on medium heat allowing soup to simmer for 20 minutes. Now is a good time to add herbs that you may like, along with cauliflower, turnips and potatoes, as well as the optional farro or barley and then simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
Farro & Wild Rice Salad with Dried Apricot, Sugar Roasted Walnuts and Grapes, Green onions and a Pear, Topped with Balsamic Dressing
Makes 8 ¼ cup servings.
Directions: Cook 1 cup of dry farro & ½ cup of Wild Rice according to package directions and cool.
For walnuts – Heat a small amount (2-3 tablespoons) of water in a saucepan and remove. Stir in ¼ cup of sugar to dissolve making a paste. Mix with 1 cup of chopped or halved walnuts or pecans. Bake on parchment-lined sheet pan in 350 degree oven for 10 – 15 minutes, browning slightly.
Cut dried apricots in strips and green onions into rings.
Slice seedless grapes in half or add ¼ cup of craisins if preferred.
Mix all in a bowl with the cooled grains.
Dressing- Mix ½ a cup of olive oil with a 1/3 a cup of Pear Balsamic vinegar, or Lambrusco or other Fruited Vinegar choice. Toss and refrigerate.
- 1 lb. Bulger Wheat
- 1/2 c Olive Oil
- 2-3 Fresh Lemons, juiced
- 1 Bunch Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 c Vine Ripe Tomatoes
Cook 1 Lb of bulger wheat in 1 quart of salted water for 10 minutes. Cover and allow to finish cooking off the heat for 10-15 minutes. Cool. To make dressing, mix ½ cup of olive oil, the juice of 2 to 3 lemons, a bunch of fresh chopped parsley and a cup of fresh vine ripe tomatoes. Add all to the cooled bulger wheat. Taste and adjust flavor with lemon juice and salt if needed.
Garden Health Salad
Ingredients: Clean and Rinse the following vegetables:
- 4 Celery Stalks dice or cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 large Cucumber , seeded and diced ¾ inch pieces
- 3 medium size tomatoes cored and sliced in 1 inch cubes
- 2 -3 mixed color or green peppers cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2/3 cups of Lambrusco or Red wine Vinegar
- 1 cup of olive oil
- Pinch of salt, pepper, granulated garlic and sugar with 2 pinches of dry basil, parsley, oregano.
Mix all together taste and adjust the seasoning and pour over the vegetables.
Note – Best if allowed to marinate overnight in the refrigerator
Ingredients: makes 4 cups
- 4- 5 Large Assorted Apples Cored and Diced, not peeled
- 1 and a ½ cup of fresh sliced White and Red grapes or Raisons
- 1 cup of fine diced celery
- 1 cup of chopped or walnut pieces
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- Optional – A pinch of Sugar and a Pinch of Cinnamon
Toss all together in a bowl and allow to sit for 2 to 3 hours for the flavors to mix and get cold.
Serve on Bib or leafy lettuce optional.